Cachoeira do Caí Dam Profile
Capacity: 802 MW
Flooded Area: 420 Km2
Affected People (official): 150
Cost: US$ 1.1 billion
Operational Status: Planned
Companies Involved: Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S/A (Eletrobrás) / Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil S/A (Eletronorte) / Construções e Comércio Camargo Côrrea S/A / EDF Consultoria em Projetos de Geração de Energia Ltda. / EPP Energia Elétrica, Promoção e Participações Ltda.
Investment Plans: Plano Decenal de Expansão de Energía 2020, Brasil / Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento, Brasil
Cachoeira do Caí is part of the Tapajós Hydroelectric Complex, also composed of : São Luiz do Tapajós (6133 MW), Jatobá (2338 MW), Jamanxim (881 MW) and Cachoeira dos Patos (528 MW). All these projects are still being studied. There are also two other projects inventoried: Chocorão (3336 MW) and Jardim do Ouro (227 MW).
The federal government expects the plant to start its operations in 2017.
Eletronorte is a state-owned company controlled by the holding Eletrobrás.
Protected areas affected:
- Jamanxim National Park (15688 hectares).
- National Forest Itaituba I (6801 hectares).
- National Forest Itaituba II (20468 hectares).
Priority areas for biodiversity protection affected:
Am 158 - Extremely High Priority.
- Advisory Board Meeting of the of the Park on the Amazonabout hydropower on the Tapajós River basin
- Indigenous people demand clarifications from the Eletrobras on dams in the Tapajós
- Preliminary Report on the Tapajós Basin Hydroelectric Inventory