Jirau Dam Profile
Capacity: 3,750 MW
Flooded Area: 258 Km2
Affected People (official): 1,087
Cost: R$ 17.4 billion
Operational Status: In Operation
Companies Involved: Camargo Correa Investimentos em Infra-Estrutura S/A / Companhia Hidro Elétrica do São Francisco (Chesf) / Consórcio Energia Sustentável do Brasil / Eletrosul Centrais Elétricas S/A / GDF Suez / Tractebel / Suez Energy South América Participações Ltda.
Funders Involved: Banco Bradesco / Banco do Brasil / Banco do Nordeste (BNB) / Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES) / Caixa Econômica Federal (CEF) / Itaú Unibanco
Investment Plans: Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento, Brasil
Jirau is part of the Madeira River Hydroelectric Complex, which also includes the Santo Antônio plant (3150 MW), currently under construction.
- Shareholders of the Energia Energia Sustentável do Brasil consortium (responsible for the plant): Suez (50.1%), Camargo Corrêa (9.9%), Eletrosul (20%) and Chesf (20%).
- Chesf and Eletrosul are subsidiaries of state-owned company holding Eletrobrás.
- Suez Energy South America Ltda. is a company part of the French group GDF Suez.
The Energia Sustentável do Brasil consortium expects plant to start operating in 2012.
Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES).
The Brazilian Movement of Dam Affected People (MAB) estimates 5 000 of families directly affected by the Madeira River Hydroelectric Complex, more than the official number.
* Indigenous people affected:
- Karipuna, Karitiana (Karipuna Indigenous Land).
- Karitiana (Karitiana Indigenous Land).
- Oro Win, Uru-eu-wau-wau, Amondawa (Indigenous Land Uru-eu-wau-wau).
- Wari' (Igarapé Lage and Igarapé Ribeirão Indigenous Lands).
* communities considered vulnerable to the Madeira River hydroelectric complex by the Brazilian National Indigenous Foundation (FUNAI)
Protected areas affected:
Ecological Corridor Guaporé / Itenez.
Priority areas for biodiversity protection affected:
- AM061 (Extremely high priority).
- AM057 (Extremely high priority).
- AM050 (Extremely high priority).
- Popular Campaign "Viva Rio Madeira Vivo"
- Muddy Waters: Impacts of Damming the Amazon's Principal Tributary