Marabá Dam Profile
Basins: Araguaia - Tocantins
Capacity: 2,160 MW
Flooded Area: 1,115 Km2
Affected People (official): 40,000
Cost: US$ 2.0 billion
Operational Status: Planned
Companies Involved: Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil S/A (Eletronorte) / CNEC Engenharia S/A / Construções e Comércio Camargo Côrrea S/A
Investment Plans: Plano Decenal de Expansão de Energía 2020, Brasil / Plano Decenal de Expansão de Energía 2021, Brasil / Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento, Brasil
Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil S/A (Eletronorte) is a state-owned company subsidiary of Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S/A (Eletrobrás).
- Municipalities affected by the project are: São João do Araguaia (PA), Bom Jesus do Tocantins (PA), Brejo Grande do Araguaia (PA) Palestina do Pará (PA) Marabá (PA), São Sebastião do Tocantins (TO), Araguatins (TO), Esperantina (TO) and São Pedro da Água Branca (MA).
- The venture's region has a large number of rural settlements.
Indigenous people affected:
- Gavião (Mão Maria Indigenous Land).
- Parkatêjê (IMãe Maria Indigenous Land).
Protected areas affected:
Encontro das Águas State Park
Pending environmental impact assessment
* the number of people directly affected is a preliminary estimate released by the Brazilian Institute of Environment and Renewable Natural Resources (IBAMA).
- Hydroelectric Plant in Maraba would affect 40 000 riverside people
- Marabá Hydroelectric will be included in the government's ten-year plan