Peixe Angical Dam Profile
Basins: Araguaia - Tocantins
Capacity: 452 MW
Flooded Area: 294 Km2
Cost: R$ 1.6 billion
Operational Status: In Operation
Operational Since: 2006
Companies Involved: EDP Energias do Brasil S/A / Enerpeixe S/A / Furnas Centrais Elétricas S/A
Gurupi (TO), Peixe (TO), Paraná (TO), São Valério da Natividade (TO) and São Salvador do Tocantins (TO).
- Enerpeixe S/A (owner of the plant concession) belongs to the Brazilian group EDP Energias do Brazil S/A, owning 60% of its capital, and Furnas S/A, holding 40%.
- EDP Energias do Brazil S/A belongs to the Portuguese group EDP.
- Furnas S/A is a subsidiary of the state-owned company Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S/A (Eletrobrás).
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Economico e Social (BNDES) and a group of private banks.
People directly affected:
- 279 families (official environmental impact study).
- 1000 families (Brazilian Movement of Dam Affected People - MAB).
Protected areas affected:
Ecological Corridor Paraná-Pirineus.
Field surveys have registered 15 archaeological sites (5 lithic, 7 ceramic, 2 rupestrian and 1 site from historical period).
- Changes in Production System of Families Affected by Hydropower Developments: the case of Rural Resettlement Buriti - Piabanha, São Salvador do Tocantins (TO)
- Archaeological sites at Peixe Angical and Serra da Mesa: mnemosyne submerged or drowned?