Santo Antônio Dam Profile
Capacity: 3,568 MW
Flooded Area: 271 Km2
Affected People (official): 1,762
Cost: R$ 17.5 billion
Operational Status: In Operation
Companies Involved: Andrade Gutierrez Participações S/A / Andritz / Cemig Geração e Transmissão S/A / Consórcio Santo Antônio Energia / Fundo de Investimentos e Participações Amazônia Energia / Furnas Centrais Elétricas S/A / Odebrecht (Grupo Norberto Odebrecht)
Funders Involved: Banco Banif / Banco Bradesco / Banco da Amazônia (BASA) / Banco do Brasil / Banco Espírito Santo (BES) / Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES) / Banco Santander / Caixa Econômica Federal (CEF) / Itaú Unibanco
Investment Plans: Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento, Brasil
Santo Antônio is part of the Madeira River Hydroelectric Complex, also composed of the Jirau Hydroelectic Plant (3750 MW), currently under construction.
- Shareholders of the Santo Antônio Energia consortium (responsible for the plant): Furnas (39%), Odebrecht (18.6%), Andrade Gutierrez (12.4%), Cemig (10%) and Fundo de Investimentos e Participações Amazônia Energia (20%).
- Furnas is a subsidiary of federal state-owned holding Eletrobrás.
- The Fundo de Investimentos e Participações Amazônia Energia (Investment Fund and Equitable Energy Amazon) is composed by the banks Banif and Santander.
Turbines began operation in 2012.
- Brazilian National Development Bank (BNDES).
- Investment Fund for Infrastructure, managed by the bank Caixa Econômica Federal.
- Constitutional Financing Fund of the North of Brazil (FNO), managed by the Banco da Amazônia (Bank of Amazonia).
The Brazilian Movement of Dam Affected People (MAB) estimates that 5000 families will be diretly affected by the Hydrelectric Complex of the Madeira river.
* Indigenous people affected:
- Karipuna, Karitiana (Karipuna Indigenous Land).
- Karitiana (Karitiana Indigenous Land).
- Oro Win, Uru-eu-wau-wau, Amondawa (Uru-eu-wau-wau Indigenous Land).
- Wari' (Igarapé Lage and Igarapé Riberão Ingenous Land)
* communities considered vulnerable by the National Indinegous Foundation (FUNAI) to the deployment of the Madeira River Hydroelectric Complex.
Protected Areas affected:
- Bom Futuro National Forest - the surrounding area (radius of 10 km drive).
- Ecological Corridor Guaporé/Itenez.
Priority areas for biodiversity protection affected:
- AM48 (extremely high priority).
- AM49 (extremely high priority).
- AM53 (extremely high priority).
25 prehistoric sites and 17 sites of interest to the Historical Archaeology were identified in the area of impact.
- Popular Campaign popular "Viva Rio Madeira Vivo
- Muddy Waters: Impacts of Damming the Amazon's Principal Tributary