São Luiz do Tapajós Dam Profile
Capacity: 8,040 MW
Flooded Area: 729 Km2
Affected People (official): 977
Cost: US$ 9.2 billion
Operational Status: Planned
Companies Involved: Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S/A (Eletrobrás) / Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil S/A (Eletronorte) / Construções e Comércio Camargo Côrrea S/A / EDF Consultoria em Projetos de Geração de Energia Ltda.
Investment Plans: Plano Decenal de Expansão de Energía 2020, Brasil / Plano Decenal de Expansão de Energía 2021, Brasil / Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento, Brasil
The São Luiz do Tapajós dam is part of the design of the Tapajos hydroelectric complex, also composed by Jatoba (2338 MW), Jamanxim (881 MW), Cachoeira do Caí (802 MW) and Cachoeira dos Patos (528 MW), all under study, besides other two inventoried areas: Chocorão (3336 MW) and Jardim do Ouro (227 MW).
The installed capacity of São Luiz do Tapajós was raised from 6133 MW to 8040 MW in the technical-economic feasibility studies of the dam.
Itaituba (PA) and Trairão (PA).
The federal government expects the plant to start operating in 2016.
Eletronorte is a state-owned company controlled by the holding Eletrobrás.
Indigenous people affected:
Munduruku and Apiaká communities (Pimental, Akaybãe and Remédio Indigenous Lands).
Protected areas affected:
- Amazon National Park (9935 hectares).
- National Forest Itaituba I (78 hectares).
- National Forest Itaituba II (20368 hectares).
Prioritiy areas for biodiversity protection affected:
- Am 158 (extremely high priority).
- Am 142 (high priority).
- Meeting of the Advisory Board of the Amazon Park on the hydroelectric plants planned for the Tapajós River Basin
- Indigenous ask Eletrobras clarifications on dams planned for the Tapajos
- Preliminary Report on the Tapajós Basin Hydroelectric Inventory