Serra Quebrada Dam Profile
Basins: Araguaia - Tocantins
Capacity: 1,328 MW
Flooded Area: 386 Km2
Affected People (official): 14,000
Cost: US$ 3.0 billion
Operational Status: Planned
Companies Involved: Alcoa Alumínio S/A / BHP Billinton Metais S/A / Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil S/A (Eletronorte) / Construções e Comércio Camargo Côrrea S/A
Investment Plans: Plano Decenal de Expansão de Energía 2020, Brasil / Programa de Aceleração do Crescimento, Brasil
Governador Edson Lobão (MA), Ribamar Fiquene (MA), Montes Altos (MA), Campestre do Maranhão (MA), Porto Franco (MA), Estreito (MA), Itaguatins (TO), Maurilândia do Tocantins (TO), Aguiarnópolis (TO) and Tocantinópolis (TO).
Eletronorte is federal state-owned, controlled by the holding Eletrobrás.
7000 families (Brazilian Movement of Dam Affected People - MAB).
Indigenous people affected:
Apinajé (Apinaye Indigenous Land) - direct interference of the reservoir.
Protected areas affected:
Mata Grande Extractive Reserve (the surrounding area within a radius of 10 km drive).
Priority areas for biodiversity protection affected:
- Am 143 - Corridor in Açailândia (very high priority).
- Ce 236 - Ananás (very high priority).
- Ce 238 - Palmeirante (very high priority).
- CE 239 - Montes Altos-Querubina (high priority).
- Am 133 - Bico do Papagaio (extremely high priority).
- Letter sent to companies wishing to build a series of dams on the rivers Araguaia and Tocantins
- Apinajé People reaffirms to the Minister of Mines and Energy their position against the construction of the UHE Serra Quebrada because it will flood villages